Any house built prior to 1978, possibly up to 38 million, probably had lead-based paint used in them. The largest area of concern are doors and windows– anywhere there is a sliding or abraiding, the continual rubbing will deteriorate the paint and produce dangerous lead levels in household dust.
You can test to see if your home is in danger. There are over-the-counter lead paint test kits available at “big box stores”, and many hardware stores.
If you find lead dust in your home, you will need to have it removed.
You will want to have a certified contractor to encapsulate or remove it; by sanding or torching, will create lead-containing dust and fumes. Special precautions need to be taken when removing lead paint.